Welcome! You have joined the board or committee of management and are ready to share your talents and passion with a vital organization in your community. Develop a sound understanding of your role and responsibilities through this valuable three-part webinar, led by lawyers with sector-specific expertise. They will take you through essentials of LTC governance, answer your questions and provide opportunities to apply your learning to critical topics, such as Ontario Health Teams and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Return to your meetings feeling more confident and better equipped to make your important contribution.
Board/committee of management members are encouraged to register for all three segments as the conversations from each session will build the foundation for the next.
Explore this series' speakers below!
Nick Pasquino, Partner, Borden Ladner Gervais LLP;
Heather Pessione, Partner, Borden Ladner Gervais LLP
Webinar #1 – Legal-Ease: The Legal and Regulatory Framework for Not-for-Profit and Municipal Long-Term Care
Tuesday, January 12 | 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Upholding your fiduciary duties is a key responsibility of a director. But what are they? While some duties are common to all boards, the not-for-profit boards in long-term care sectors are governed by legislation specific to them. This first session will introduce you to the legal and regulatory framework you need to know and explain how it applies to your work.
We will cover the fundamentals of:
- Corporations legislation
- Ontario’s Long-Term Care Homes Act and other related legislation
- Charities and Income Tax Act considerations
- Accountability, transparency and value for money
- Duties and responsibilities of individual directors
- Due diligence for directors
Webinar #2 – Staying in Your Lane: Governance Versus Management
Tuesday, January 19 | 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Governing bodies can find themselves in trouble and overwhelmed when they drift beyond their role. Set your board up for good governance practice by understanding the distinction between governance versus management and the structures/processes that can help everyone maintain well-defined spheres of useful and complementary activity.
Our discussion will cover:
- A framework for good governance
- Knowing where to draw the line between governance vs. management
- Areas of board role and function
- Structures and processes to support the board
- Effective use of board committees
- Meeting processes and best practices
Webinar #3 – In the News and On the Table: Current Issues for Long-Term Care Governance
Tuesday, January 26 | 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
With a health system in transformation while it also faces perhaps its greatest test, it is a dynamic time to be on a not-for-profit or municipal long-term care home board. Hear how topics covered in the first two sessions apply to several current issues on the agendas of long-term care governing bodies across Ontario. Gain insight into the background of these issues, ways to approach them and what to expect in the future.
We will discuss:
- Governance during COVID-19: virtual governance and best practices
- Governance in an Ontario Health Team context
- The Long-Term Care Commission and the future of long-term care governance
This initiative is supported by the Ministry of Long-Term Care.